Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dilly Beans

There are a few things that I can each year and other things I just buy already canned. The salsa recipe I posted I always can. You can't find salsa that yummy canned in the grocery store. I've already made one batch and I'm actually making another batch as we speak. Another one of those things that you can't pick up at the store are Dilly Beans. Mmmm. I love Dilly Beans. If you like Dill Pickles, you'll love Dilly Beans! I'll also post my grandmother's Dill Pickle Recipe later. My garden is bursting with beans right now so I just made my first batch. This is my grandmother's recipe.

Dilly Beans

2 lbs. green beans, trimmed
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
4 cloves garlic
4 heads dill
2 1/2 c. water
2 1/2 c. vinegar
1/4 c. pickling/canning salt *note* Pickling salt is different than iodized salt. You'll find it next to the other salts.

Pack beans, lengthwise into hot pint jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. To each pint add 1/4 tp cayenne pepper, 1 clove garlic, and 1 dill head. Combine remaining ingredients and bring to boiling. Pour boiling hot over beans leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps. Process pints and quarts 10 minutes in boiling water bath.

Yield: 4 pints

Note: Let beans stand for 2 weeks before tasting to allow the flavor to develop.

No comments:

Post a Comment