Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tomatoes

We've been enjoying our tomatoes over the last month. There are so many great ways to enjoy them, and it's so fun to share them. I love to eat fresh salsa, but I also like to can it so I can enjoy it while snow is on my garden. Every year I like to can salsa, and this is by far my favorite salsa recipe to can. Canning salsa is not difficult, but it does take a lot of time and patience to make it. The rewards are definately worth it!

10 lbs tomatoes (romas are my favorite for this, but any kind will do)
4 onions
2 green peppers
3 small cans green chilis or 2, 3 fresh chopped
4 jalapenos chopped (You can take the ribs out of the jalapenos if you don't want the heat. I always make one batch with more jalapenos. This recipe isn't really spicy, so don't worry about that too much)
1 cup vinegar
2 Tbs. salt
2 Tbs. sugar

Peel and mash tomatoes: For this step I get a pot of boiling water, pierce the skin of the tomatoes, drop them in for a few seconds, take them out and when the tomato cools down you can peel the skin right off. I throw my tomatoes in a food processor or blender and pulse them.

Chop onions and green peppers, and add to mashed tomatoes. Add the other ingredients and cook for 3 hours. It may seem like a long time, but it really thickens the salsa and also meshes the flavors well. Process in pint jars for 30 minutes. If you need info on processing or canning this website has a ton of info: http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm. If you know me and would like help (I have the canning supplies) I'd be happy to help you.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I love your salsa recipe! I guess it would be pretty thick after 3 "years" of simmering! J/K!! I knew you meant 3 hours. luv ya!!

    ReplyDelete